It's funny the songs that you sing to put a baby to sleep (the correct version and incorrect version). It relaxes Maxton and gets him to sleep at night when he hears a voice. So many nights I come up with songs that I repeat over an over, sometimes a variety that I just sing once, or on my tired nights he just gets a Humm(especially if I'm walking him around and out of breath!). My favorite part is when you get to a point in the song and you're like "....WXY and Z. Now I've said...Wait is it said or is it "Now I know my ABC's"...next time won't you sing with me." (what's your version?) And you're now not singing to the baby but talking and questioning the lyrics of the song and then it bugs you when you can't remember. And then you have to Google the lyrics so that when the baby is 2 and starts to sing along, Mommy hasn't been teaching the wrong lyrics for 2 years!!! I had to do this with "Frosty the Snowman" the other day. I got the verses all mixed up and it was driving me crazy! :) For those of you that need a refresher like I did, lyrics are at the bottom. :) Anyway, here is the current song list in the Balster Household:
The Regulars:
Alphabet song
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
You Are My Sunshine
Itsy Bitsy Spider
Once More United (Sorority song)(AOII's you'll appreciate that one!)
Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song :) (try not rapping it, but singing it- fun hunh?)
Sleepy Maxton (I made this one up)
New Additions:
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman (see below)
So, please respond and tell me what your favorite songs are to sing at bedtime and maybe I can add those into my repertoire as well.
~As a side note...I can't stand "Rockabye Baby" as I can't sing lyrics that talk about cradles falling out of trees to my child!!
Update: Check out this website for songs!
http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/allsongs.html
*******************************************
Frosty the Snowman
Was a jolly happy soul
With a corncob pipe and a button nose
And two eyes made out of coal
Frosty the Snowman
Is a fairytale they say
He was made of snow
But the children know
How he came to life one day
There must have been some magic
In that old silk hat they found
For when they placed it on his head
He began to dance around
Frosty the Snowman
Was alive as he could be
And the children say
He could laugh and play
Just the same as you and me
Frosty the Snowman
Knew the sun was hot that day
So he said let's run
And we'll have some fun
Now before I melt away
Down to the village
With a broomstick in his hand
Running here and there all around the square
Saying catch me if you can
He led them down the streets of town
Right to the traffic cop
And he only paused a moment when
He heard him holler stop
Frosty the Snowman
Had to hurry on his way
But he waved goodbye
Saying don't you cry
I'll be back again some day
Thumpety thump thump
Thumpety thump thump
Look at Frosty go
Thumpety thump thump
Thumpety thump thump
Over the hills of snow
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
You are HILARIOUS!! I can almost see you questioning yourself while singing and Maxton being like...get on with it mom, I'm tired!!!! So funny!
Oh AND I like your new blog background...very cute!!
Our *regular* list includes many of those you listed, but also:
-Vivi Had A Little Lamb
-Skidda Marink (I think this is a Raffi song -- it's courtesy of Sharlene)
Daisy, Daisy (we sing Vivi, Vivi)
'Fun' Songs:
-Wheels on the Bus
-Pat a Cake
-If You're Happy & You Know It
-Hunk of Tin
-Little Red Caboose
-Peanut Sat On A Railroad Track
-The Bear
Christmas Additions:
-Jolly Old St. Nicholas
-Baby It's Cold Outside
Daddy's Favorites:
-Lines from Fergie's Glamorous
-Singing TI's line "You Can Have Whatever You Like" over & over again (obviously the rest of the song is FAR from appropriate)
Oh, I don't sing Rock A Bye Baby either. Or Ring Around the Rosie or London Bridge. All depressing.
You crack me up, but the sad part is I totally get what you're saying. Some of Brady's other favorite bedtime songs besides those you listed are:
Sleep Little One Go To Sleep
Buckeye Jim
Lullaby and Goodnight
Daytime Play Songs:
Pop Goes the Weasel
Wheels on the Bus (mom's version)
All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth
Mickey's Tune Song
Many of the Wiggles Songs
You're funny, Laci. I've been there, done that. I always loved "All night, all day...angels watchin over me, my Lord....." Brings back memories...
I was trying to figure out the Baby Bumble Bee song a fews weeks ago and Maxton & I got online to get the words. I forgot the "cleaning up my bumble bee" part...hehee You're funny!
Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one bringing out the AOII songs to the little ones... "loyal forever..." I've found to be a great lullaby. Haven't tried it yet with Maddy, though!
Post a Comment